Cherry Hill is the economic hub of the Southern part of New Jersey and many people, businesses and tourists visiting the place would like to find out cherry hill new jersey history so that they can understand it better. The original inhabitants of the area were the Lenni Lenape Native Americans who were living in the area in the 1600s and earlier. The Quakers from England arrived in the area in the late 1600s and settled in the area, owning farms and mills. They co-existed peacefully with the Indians in the area initially.
In 1695, the Waterford township was established which was primarily an agricultural town with many grist mills. It was part of the old county of Gloucester initially. In 1844, a decision was made to rename the town as Delaware township, and it was part of the Camden County in New Jersey. In addition to the mills and the farms, there were many villages in Delaware township like Ellsberg, Colestown, and Batesville. Ellisburg was the government hub for the township. Colestown was named after Samuel Coles, who purchased 1000 acres of land there. The township later expanded to include other areas like Barlow, Colwick, Erlton.
In 1886, the township was fairly prosperous community, focusing on agriculture. It had a large number of shops for making carriages and also grist mills. New Jersey was famous for its farms and the area flourished with a large number of family farms supplying produce to the surrounding areas, earning New Jersey the nickname of Garden state. After the first World War, the area developed as a shopping and entertainment center. The Garden State Race Track for horse racing and the Latino Casino were some of the popular entertainment venues which were developed. A number of luxury hotels were also constructed, many near the race track.
After the second world war, there was a massive increase in the demand for housing for the soldiers returning from the war front. This led to a boom in construction activity in the area, and many of the farms were replaced by large apartment complexes and fashionable houses. Many quality schools for children were opened to take care of the educational needs of children from the families who settled there. Other amenities like clubs, recreational facilities were also developed. Many professionals and workers in the large companies in the vicinity like Campbell’s soup preferred to live in the area.
Though the population of the area was increasing rapidly, it did not have its own post office until 1961. Since another area in New Jersey was also called Delaware, it was decided to rename the area as Cherry Hill in 1961, after the original Cherry Hill farm in the area through a referendum in the municipality. The population of Cherryhill increased rapidly from approximately 10,000 in 1950 to more than 60,000 in 1970 and continues to grow to date. More housing, restaurants, shopping, and other facilities were added in the last few decades. To prevent overcrowding, now the focus of development in Cherry Hill is the preservation of natural resources.